I was curious to measure the power drawn by the many gadgets and laptops that charged over USB-C in our home. Looking for a suitable USB-C power meter, I chose Plugable USB-C VAMeter3.
- This meter does full USB data passthrough while displaying the power consumed. It only touches the power (VBUS) and ground wires and leaves the rest undisturbed.
- It can measure power drawn in either direction, so supports both devices sucking power and providing power. The arrow on the display shows the direction of electrical current.
- Supports USB 1.1 to 3.1 Gen 2.
- Operating range: 4.5V-50V (voltage), 50mA-6.5A (current)
- Supports USB-PD R3.1 extended power range of 101W-240W.
- The display is very simple: it shows the voltage (V), amperage (A) and power (W) drawn or supplied by the device.
- Pressing the button flips the display by 180 degrees. Useful when the display happens to be upside-down.
- This device is an updated version of USB-C VAMeter, which only supported up to PD 3.0 power of 100W.