Code Yarns ‍👨‍💻
Tech BlogPersonal Blog


📅 2012-May-19 ⬩ ✍️ Ashwin Nanjappa ⬩ 🏷️ gridmove, windows ⬩ 📚 Archive

The snap feature was an excellent addition to Windows 7. I use it all the time to put two related windows beside each other for collaboration or comparison.

On large widescreen displays and other scenarios, I feel like I need other windowing and tiling configurations. For example, I would like to have a Python editor window take 70% horizontal space and a PowerShell console take the rest 30%. Or some other time I would like to have one main window and two smaller windows stacked on each other by the side. GridMove is an excellent tool for all these work setups.

GridMove sees the display area as a grid of tiles. A template describes the tiles that make up a grid. Based on the currently chosen template (or grid), the user can snap an active window into any tile of the grid.

An active window can be snapped into any tile on the grid using either the mouse or the keyboard. For example, middle-click on the window titlebar and drag it to the tile you want. (The grid is displayed visually when you do this.) If you lift the mouse button, the window will be snapped to fill that tile. If you prefer the keyboard, press Win+G to see the grid and tile numbers. In an active window, press Win+2 to snap the window to tile 2, Win+3 for tile 3 and so on.

I find that GridMove is a must-have tool to make optimum use of widescreen displays. You can create your own custom grids easily. Examine the .grid files in the Grids directory of GridMove. You can modify these files to your own grid configurations and drop them into this directory with a .grid file extension.

Tried with: GridMove 1.19.62

© 2023 Ashwin Nanjappa • All writing under CC BY-SA license • 🐘📧