MKVMerge Error: Demultiplexer failed to initialize


I tried to merge a subtitle SRT file with a video MP4 file using MKVMerge as explained here. It failed with this error:

$ mkvmerge -o out.mp4 foo.mp4 
mkvmerge v5.6.0 ('Kenya Kane') built on Jun  7 2012 15:57:56
'foo.mp4': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'QuickTime/MP4'.
Error: The demultiplexer for the file 'foo.mp4' failed to initialize:
The file could not be opened for reading, or there was not enough data to parse its headers.


Googling for this error message did not provide any solution.

I updated MKVMerge to the newer version 6.7.0. The same command on the same files worked successfully!🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s