A beautiful way to add your name to the photos you share online is by adding it as text with drop shadow. Text colored in a single color might get partially hidden due to similar colors in the underlying photo. By picking a contrasting pair of text color and shadow color, the text with drop shadow can stand out on top of any photo.
Here is how to achieve this with the awesome Paint.Net tool:
1. Paint.Net does not have a drop shadow feature. Download the Drop Shadow plugin from here and install it.
2. Using Paint.Net open the photo you want to add text to.
3. Create a new layer on top of the existing layer. One way to do this is by choosing Layers → Add New Layer.
4. Choose the color you want as the text color in the palette.
5. Pick the Text Tool and click anywhere on the photo. Type your text here and choose the font and font-size you want.
6. Add a drop shadow to this text by choosing Effects → Stylize → Drop Shadow.
7. In the Drop Shadow dialog, play around with the shadow color, the X-Y offset of the shadow to the text and the amount of blur you want.
8. If you are happy with the result, combine the layers together by choosing Image → Flatten and save the image to any format you want.
Tried with: Paint.Net 3.5.10 and Drop Shadow Plugin 126.96.36.199